Monthly Musings: October 2019
Happy Wednesday, sweet friends!
I hope you find yourself easing into this new month well. As I type, the rain is bucketing down hard outside the kitchen window, the heating is on, and I’m wearing my coziest jumper. All of this is to say: it’s definitely starting to feel very autumnal around these parts. It’s a hard reality to face after an extended jaunt through Tuscany, but I think we’re coping quite well.
The offering for the month ahead is below. I must say, it’s a rather self-indulgent post, but I hope you find something to take away with you nonetheless. I’ll be here, earl grey tea in one hand, corn flake crunch in the other.
- Our time in Italy was perfect. We ate our weight in excellent food – pasta, cheese, cold cuts, bread, pastries; you name it we ate it – and I regret not one calorie. We literally had the best time ever & coming home and getting back into our routines has been so hard. I’m working away on a few posts about our time there – I can’t wait to share it here!
- Related: last month for my birthday, my sweet family went all out & gifted me an Italian themed hamper. The contents of which included luxurious foodstuffs – fancy olive oil, good Parmesan etc – as well as some excellent red wine, and the pasta rolling attachment for my KitchenAid! I nearly cried. It is the hamper of my dreams and I can’t wait to get into my pasta making groove!
- I’ve become very conscious of my skin care routine lately. I’ve been researching different products, and I recently purchased a clay face mask that I am loving. I found this guide to be super helpful when deciding which mask to get; I ended up going with the charcoal one and my face feels so amazing afterwards. Another product I’m eyeing up: The Ordinary Retinol.
- The idea of dying the carpets in our house has been bopping around my head lately. It was probably a lovely vibrant red when it was put down over 15 years ago, but now it’s a murky brown that’s been sun-bleached to baby poo green in some parts. It needs a facelift, badly. I’ll report back!
- We welcomed a new plant baby into our home a few weeks back! It’s a physalis – also known as a Chinese Lantern Plant – and we’ve decided to call it Phyllis. I’d never even heard of it before, but I’ve been doing some research and it turns out that it bears fruit – those fancy little things you sometimes see accompanying cheese boards or the like. Thanks, Mom!
- I am so beyond late to the game on this one, but I just recently made Christina Tosi’s Cereal Milk Panna Cotta with Corn Flake Crunch topping and it. was. divine. I purposely saved some of the corn flake crunch for snacking on & it is such a game changer. Obsessed.
- I’m going to find a way to work this Tomato & White Bean Soup with Parmesan into our meal plan this week and I think you should too.
- It’s been far too long since we had a new cookbook around these parts, but thankfully I’ve already pre-ordered our next one: Weeknight Baking. It comes out near the end of the month and I’m itching to get my hands on it!
- A blog I’m currently crushing on: Coco & Vera.
- A really very good book suggestion: The Chestnut Man. It kept me going during our whole Italy trip and I honestly didn’t want it to end.
- An article that made me cry recently: Everything My Husband Wasn’t There For. Have the tissues at the ready.
- An oldie but a goodie: Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cup Cookies. They aren’t for the faint of heart, but boy they are delicious!
I hope you have a wonderful month! Let’s catch up again in November, okay?
My love to you,