Maple Pecan Granola
Today we’re talking about something serious – morning eating. Do you like breakfast? I’m one of those annoying people that’s able to eat anything that’s put in front of them pretty much about three seconds after I wake up. That could be anything from cold pizza slices to cereal to chocolate or even pasta. & I’m not talking about just eating at regular morning eating hours like 8-11am or whatever, I mean that if I get up at two in the morning & start functioning then I have to eat something or I’ll accidentally kill someone in a state of grumpiness. Isn’t that joyous?
Usually I end up shoveling some sort of cereal into my mouth before I have to rush off to work for the day, but some days (the really good kind of days) I get to have something that tiny bit more exciting. On weekends it’s Boyfriend’s delicious blueberry pancakes, but on days when I feel like being a proper-grown-up-adult-that-takes-care-of-herself it’s granola. It’s easy peasy to throw together & it is so worth the small amount of effort that goes into making it. This is how we adult!
This granola made it’s way into my life about two years ago & has been pretty much constantly in the back of my mind until I made it again last week. Why did I wait for so long to make it again? I’ll never know. I’ll also never know why I made the mistake of making something so damn delicious & never blogging about it. I can only apologise. Please forgive me, I’m trying to make up for my mistakes. If you make the granola you’ll forgive me. The deliciously crunchy mixture of oats & pecans will weaken your resolve, especially when paired with some creamy yogurt (& perhaps some homemade compote or curd?). Just do it.
Now, I have some good news & some bad news. Let’s do the bad news first & the good news second. The bad news: there won’t be a blog post next Wednesday. I know, you’re devastated, right? Totes. I’m heading off to Italy tomorrow & the plan was to pre-write a post but I just never got around to it – time flies when you spend all your time watching movies & eating chocolate (kidding) (only kinda sorta kidding). The good news: you can follow along with our Italian adventures on my Instagram! Boyfriend & I are visiting Bologna, Florence & Siena, and I plan on eating all of the food I can get my hands on! So check it out if you want to be jealous, basically.
Ciao for now!
- 2 ½ cups organic rolled oats
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil / 2 tablespoons of groundnut oil
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 150C. Cover a large baking sheet with a layer of baking parchment; set aside.
- Combine the oats, maple syrup, sugar, oil, cinnamon, & salt in a large bowl & stir together – being sure to leave the pecans out.
- Spread the oat mixture onto the prepared sheet & bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes. At the halfway mark, stir the chopped pecans into the mixture.
- Remove from the oven & allow to cool completely. Err on the side of caution with granola, as it’s one of those things that continues cooking after it comes out of the oven. I always pull mine out just as it starts to gain that beautiful golden glow. Happy breakfasting!