Gifting 101: Homemade Vanilla Sugar
Hello friends! How are you keeping? I’ve come to distract you from the new Level Three Covid-19 restrictions with some early talk of the holiday season. I know, it’s only October. Really, I know. I truly believe that it’s really never too early to jump on the gifting bandwagon. Coming up to the holidays, I like to have an arsenal of hand-crafted bits & bobs on hand, and this year is no different. Who knows when we’ll be able to move freely between the counties again? I’m going to have some small tokens of appreciation ready for when the moment comes. I’m nothing if not prepared.
Today we’re making Homemade Vanilla Sugar. It truly doesn’t get any easier, or more fragrant, than this. Would you like to join me?
Here’s what we’ll need:
• 1 cup of granulated sugar
• 1 vanilla bean
Homemade vanilla sugar is literally a 1:1 ratio.
Here are the steps we’ll take:
Sift the sugar into a small bowl. Sugar loves to clump together at any sign of moisture. Sift out those lumps.
Split the vanilla bean down the centre and scrape the flecks of vanilla out with a sharp knife.
Add the vanilla flecks to the sifted sugar, and let them get all up in each other’s business. It’s practically love at first sight.
I like to chop up my empty vanilla bean & add that to the sugar too. There’s a wealth of flavour hiding inside that bean, and we don’t want to waste a drop.
And that’s it! Our homemade gifting dreams come true in 5-minutes of active work.
Look, we’ve been to the Gifting 101 rodeo before. We know how to impress our loved ones with homemade gifts, and we love the feeling of giving a gift crafted with our very own hands. If you want to go that little bit further, wrap it up all pretty & attach a homemade tag. It’s all about showing people how much we care.
PS: stay tuned for a new recipe making use of this Homemade Vanilla Sugar coming up in a few weeks!
Homemade Vanilla Sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Sift the granulated sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the vanilla bean down the centre, exposing all of those lovely vanilla flecks. Use the back of the knife to scrape the flecks out of the bean & into the bowl of sugar. Slice the empty vanilla bean into thirds & set aside.
- Using your hands or a wooden spoon, work the vanilla into the sugar until evenly dispersed. It should smell luscious, and the flecks should be seen throughout.
- Stir though the sliced bean & pour into cute decorative jars.
- this is such a simple recipe to scale up to meet your needs! Just remember the basic ratio of 1 cup sugar to 1 vanilla bean.
- ideally, this sugar is at it’s best when left to combine for two weeks after making. However, it can of course be used straight away, the flavour just won’t be as great.
- vanilla sugar will keep for a verrrrry long time.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Please leave a comment & a rating below, or tag me on Instagram @imvcki. Thank you so much for supporting Passionate Baker!
for more gifting 101 ideas:
Please tag me on Instagram if you make this, I’d love to know!