Smoked Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies
Friends, I’m going to be completely honest with you here. In order to get this post written I’m working on a task & reward system. See, I had the best of intentions to write a witty & entertaining post all about these cookies… & then my new cookbook came in the mail today & before I knew it I’d already spent hours lovingly reading each page while the daylight hours ticked away. & now we’re here, dinner over & done with, night fast approaching, still no blog post, & only halfway through the new cookbook. Task: write one paragraph in the blog post. Reward: read one chapter in the new book. Win!
I mean, surely I shouldn’t have that much writing to do. Like, how much convincing do you need to make cookies? Cookies that have been heavily laden with chocolate chunks & generously sprinkled with smoked sea salt? Cookies that are so damn good & crispy on the outside, but still mysteriously chewy in the centre? Every time these cookies have come out of my oven they have hands down been the most complemented cookies I’ve ever made. I have yet to meet someone who didn’t love them after the first bite (4 year old kids don’t count, right?), two tasters even proclaimed that these were the best cookies they had ever eaten, ever. Friends, they are so right. I’m just going to let the pictures do the rest of the talking while I continue salivating over my new book, talk next week!
(Everyone knows cookies are always better with a big glass of cold milk.)
Makes about 9-10 cookies
- 113g salted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, homemade
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 & ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- smoked sea salt, for sprinkling (or regular sea salt)
- Preheat the oven to 180C & line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric whisk to beat butter & sugars together until pale & fluffy. Add the egg & beat in thoroughly, maybe 1 minute. Add the vanilla extract & beat to incorporate.
- Using a wire sieve, directly sieve the flour & bicarbonate of soda into the large bowl. With the whisk on low, beat until everything is just incorporated. Finally, use a spatula to mix in the chocolate chips.
- Dollop the cookie dough by the 2 tablespoonful onto prepared baking tins. Leave about 2 inches of room between each cookie & sprinkle generously with smoked sea salt.
- Bake cookies for 18 minutes, or until just golden brown. Remove from the oven & allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.