Seasonal Old Fashioned with a Blood Orange Twist
I hope this post finds you safe & coping somewhat well with the current global situation.
Today’s post isn’t so much a recipe, it’s more of a reminder that time is still moving forward even if we’re stuck inside, unemployed and bored. A bumblebee flew past my window the other morning, basking in the warmth of the sunlight, & I realised that somehow spring has sprung, regardless of Covid-19. Basically: blood orange season is nearly over & I think you should make this blood orange old fashioned before they’re all gone.
These drinks were Boyfriend’s creation; he has a real knack for working blood oranges into everything this time of year. A good Old Fashioned is our poison of choice after those extra long days – of which there have been plenty recently. This version is simply perfect: strong, sweet, smooth, seasonal. Thank you, Boyfriend, for creating the mighty blood orange old fashioned, & for making this whole “social distancing” situation a little easier.
Blood Orange Old Fashioned
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/4 blood orange, juiced
- 1 splash soda water
- 50 mls bourbon, divided – we used Jim Beam
- 1 wedge blood orange, for serving
- In a glass, muddle together the sugar, blood orange juice, & the soda water until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour 30ml bourbon into the glass & mix well.
- Add ice cubes, and pour the remaining bourbon over the ice. Mix again to thoroughly combine.
- Add a small wedge of blood orange into the glass & serve. Delicious!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Please leave a comment & a rating below, or tag me on Instagram @imvcki. Thank you so much for supporting Passionate Baker!
If you make this blood orange old fashioned I would love to know! Please feel free to tag me on instagram 🙂