Blueberry Breakfast Buns
Do you enjoy a good spot of therapy baking? I therapy bake nearly every week. Let’s face it – it’s cheaper than actual therapy, and the resulting side effects are considerably more delicious. If you’re like me (aka: still saving up for that fancy KitchenAid you’ve had your eye on for months), therapy bread baking is the way to go. You can knead the dough over & over again until your arms stop working – it’s seriously good therapy.
So.. shall we just call this a group session from here on out? Let’s make us some Blueberry Breakfast Buns!
The whole point of therapy baking is not being too strict with yourself. I went with blueberry jam because that worked for me, but these would still be super great smeared with apricot/strawberry/raspberry etc & sprinkled with whatever berry/fruit you see fit. Basically, get yourself into the kitchen & work out your stresses on that dough. Coax it into being, stuff it with whatever makes you feel good, & then sit back to enjoy with several cups of coffee. I swear, it works for me every. single. time.
We love breakfast in our house. Any breakfast will do, but it’s the sweeter ones that get me dragging my tired leggies out of bed in the mornings. What is it about a slightly sweet food in the morning that just sets everything off on the right note? Scones, cereal, cinnamon rolls, breakfast buns, sticky rolls. You name it, we love them all. Obviously cinnamon rolls will always hold a special place in my heart (Easy Cinnamon Rolls, looking at you), but when I stepped into the kitchen I felt like a good blueberry concoction would sort me right out. The end result? A sumptuous, squishy dough, sweetened ever so slightly with one of our favourite berries. They’re light, not too sweet, and go perfectly with that all-important morning coffee.
Happy therapy baking!
Blueberry Breakfast Buns
for the dough:
- 56 g salted butter, melted & cooled slightly
- 320 g plain flour
- 7 g dried yeast
- 180 ml full fat milk
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temp
for the filling:
- 2 tbsp salted butter, at room temp
- 2 tbsp blueberry jam
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and the yeast. Make a well in the centre of the bowl; set aside.
- In a large measuring jug, combine the cooled butter with the milk, sugar, + egg, stirring to combine evenly.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry, & use a wooden spoon to combine all of the ingredients. Once combined, transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface & knead with the heel of your hand until the dough is soft & uniform, about 10-12 minutes. (If the dough is rather sticky, you can add up to 3 tablespoons of flour.) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap & leave to rise at room temperature for 2-3 hours, or until doubled in size*.
- Grease a 9×9-inch baking dish with butter, set aside.
- When ready, place the dough onto a lightly floured surface & roll into a 16 x 10-inch rectangle. Leaving a 1-inch border along one long side of the dough, use your hands to smear the rest of the dough with the softened butter, then followed by the blueberry jam. Sprinkle the blueberries evenly on top of the butter/jam mixture & lightly press them into the dough. Finally, evenly sprinkle the sugar across the whole lot.
- Beginning with the long side that has the mixture spread to the edge, tightly roll up the dough. Cut the log into 8 equal sized rolls & carefully transfer into the prepared baking dish. Cover the whole dish with with tin foil & place in the fridge overnight*.
- The next morning, remove the dish from the fridge, leaving the foil in place, & preheat the oven to 180C. With the foil still in place, bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, before removing the foil & baking for an extra 20-30 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Please leave a comment & a rating below, or tag me on Instagram @imvcki. Thank you so much for supporting Passionate Baker!
Please tag me on instagram if you make these blueberry breakfast buns – I’d love to know.