Apple & Blackberry Crumble
Today’s post was originally an incredibly delicious Maple Syrup Apple Upside-down Cake, but it was just so damn ugly that I simply couldn’t bring myself to actually share it. I’d already edited the photos & written the post, but I just couldn’t post it. Is that pathetic? I’m worried it is. Over time, I might change my mind. Maybe one day you’ll be ready to see the world’s ugliest cake, but I don’t think that day is today. Instead, I bring you something equally as beautiful as it is delicious: Apple & Blackberry Crumble. The final bake in our apple fest.
Friends, I have a question. What do you consider a crumble? Boyfriend & I have been debating about this lately & we can’t agree on an answer. I’ve always thought that a crumble was simply a fruit mixture, topped with a crumble finish. Boyfriend, however, thinks that a crumble should consist of a pie base, fruit filling, and a crumble topping. I argued & argued, denied time after time. Google was no help, stating that both are correct – neither of us were happy with that answer. Then, randomly one day, we came across a crumble in our local shop. Crumble topping, fruit filling, & a pie base. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Refusing to accept defeat entirely, I stopped being so stubborn and decided to try my hand at this crumble-pie hybrid.
I must confess, this is one delicious hybrid. Part four in our apple fest may just be the best of them all, isn’t that funny? I know this is possibly the best of them all because I had a lot of taste-testers. Each crumble-pie serves nine-ish people, and I made this a few times to perfect. The general consensus: uhh-mazing. Buttery, fruity, flakey, crumbly, sweet enough but not overly sweet, & did I mention it’s perfectly buttery?
Apple & Blackberry Crumble
- 1 quantity pie dough
for the crumble
- 125 g plain flour
- 45 g jumbo oats
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 115 g salted butter, at room temp
for the filling
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 9 large apples, peeled & sliced into thin wedges
- 250 g blackberries
- Roll the pie dough out into a roughly 12-inch circle that is about ¼-inch thick. Carefully press the dough into your pie dish/tart tin & store in the fridge while you prepared the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Next, make the crumble topping. Using your fingertips, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl until crumbs start to form. Set aside.
- Now, the filling. In a large bowl, gently stir together all of the ingredients. Fill the prepared pie shell with the filling & cover with the prepared crumble.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling & the crumble is a deep golden brown. Leave the crumble to cool & serve warm with some lightly whipped cream.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Please leave a comment & a rating below, or tag me on Instagram @imvcki. Thank you so much for supporting Passionate Baker!