Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits
You know those moments when you rush through taking the photographs so you can just start eating already? That’s what happened here. I was clearly in such a desperate need to eat that I seemed to overlook the fact that the pictures look
like i bled all over the table a little unpleasant. I don’t know what happened. My brain must have fallen out when I caught sight of all the strawberry goodness oozing out of the glass. There is no other possible explanation. You’ll just have to have faith in the old saying: don’t judge a book by it’s cover. In this case: look past the bloody intriguing exterior of these Parfaits & trust me when I say they have most delicious interior.
Now. These parfaits. Right. Well. How to put this the right way? Firstly, I’m sure they’re horribly sinful & extremely calorie laden (after my very first bite I felt like I needed to go for a run..), but what does that matter? Who cares!? I regret nothing. Secondly, I didn’t really factor the natural sweetness of the strawberries in when I added half a cup of sugar to the mix. Oops!
The results of my actions were… interesting. To say the least. These were sweet. Big time. There was no hope, we were all doomed to be hyper within seconds. Nothing could be done about it, it was a fate we accepted after our first bites. What quickly followed was a half hour full of hysterical laughter & the repeated speedy spelling of the word community (seriously, it sounds so weird when you spell it quickly!). I’m not ashamed, it could have happened to anyone.
Despite all that – the seven million calories, the guilt, the necessity of exercise afterwards, the sugar rush, the unfortunate pictures – these were truly delicious. They’re creamy & dreamy & tasty & who doesn’t love strawberries & they’re full of natural strawberry syrup & I guarantee you have all the ingredients in your house right now (maybe not the frozen strawberries, but you should totes go buy some) & mmm they’re so mouthwatering & I’m beginning to think I’m still a little bit hyper. Oh well. I almost forgot the most enticing part! They literally take 20 minutes to put together. What more could you want from an impromptu dessert?
Serves 4 (Adapted from Damn Delicious)
- 380g frozen strawberries
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup of cream cheese, at room temperature
- NO EXTRA SUGAR. (Or, if you’d like to experience the hyperness that I did, then add ½ cup sugar. You have been warned)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the frozen strawberries in a pan over a medium heat until completely thawed & a syrup develops. Place to the side.
- One a medium bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, (the sugar I warned you against), the lemon juice & the vanilla & beat together until completely smooth & blended.
- Gently fold half of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten it & once melded together gently fold in the remaining whipped cream. The end result should be deliciously light & fluffy.
- Spoon a layer of the cream cheese mix into 4 single serving glasses, followed by a layer of the strawberry mixture & repeat until you run out.
- Leave the parfaits in the fridge for at least 10 minutes & serve.