Yesterday’s savory meal over & done with, it’s time to get back to the good stuff. The more important stuff. The baked stuff. Today, we deal with one of the best kinds of baked stuff: cookies. We all know I love cookies, it’s no secret. Unfortunately, these cookies weren’t for my own personal enjoyment, but as a generous offering to a playgroup’s Sports Day. I know, I’m too darn good.
Seeing as the cookies were intended for small kids between the ages of 3 & 5, I decided to keep things fun & simple with these colourful Smarties spotted cookies. Basically, I was aiming for a fun cookie that wasn’t too fancy or involved too much effort. With least one Smartie in every single bite, I’m almost certain the kids will love these. So many Smarties! I must admit, some Smarties got lost on the way into the mixing dish,
my greedy hands the messy counter proved too much for their delicious sugar-coated chocolate bodies. Oops.
Naturally, I had to test the cookies to make sure they were okay. Make sure they were safe for the kids to eat. Yeah, for the kids. Really I just took one for the team, endangering myself. I’m so thoughtful. Also, if we’re being honest, the colourful dots peeking out from every centimeter of cookie was just too much for me to resist after a long day at work. Besides, I deserve one, right? You know, seeing as it was me that baked them. I think the kids would let me away with having one. Maybe.
I don’t think anybody could say no to a Smarties cookie. They just make you smile. You look at the different colours & you just can’t help it, it’s magic. & I don’t know about you guys, but they remind me of my childhood. When was the last time you had a packet of Smarties? Yeah, way back when you were four years old & your Mom gave them to you to keep you quiet for a while. Hopefully that’s what these cookies will do for everyone that has one tomorrow, remind them of their childhood.
These cookies were a cinch to make, coming together in less than 20 minutes. What am I saying? Heck, I don’t need to convince you into making these. The Smarties do that for me.
Makes 27 (Adapted from Damn Delicious)
- 2 ½ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¾ brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mini & regular Smarties
- Preheat oven to 160°C, line a baking sheet with parchment paper & set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda & salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter & sugars together with an electric whisk until light & fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract & mix to combine.
- Adding one at a time, beat the eggs into the butter mixture, making sure it’s well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mix to the wet mixture & whisk on slow until just incorporated. Using a spatula, gently fold the Smarties into the cookie dough.
- Drop tablespoons of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet & bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown, but the centre is still moist.
- Remove from the oven & cool of the baking sheet for ten minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.