Pecan & Golden Syrup Ice-Cream
There was an abundance of cream in our fridge the other day. I’m talking ten 250ml pots. All of which had to be used up within two days. We set about making desserts to freeze. My mum made a Lemon Cheesecake, a Praline Coffee Swirl Cheesecake, & two Gateaux Diane’s. Pots of cream left: 5. Bosco & I used up 3 more pots by adding our two cents & making this to-die-for Pecan & Golden Syrup Ice-Cream.
Ever since we started making our homemade ice-cream for our friends & for dinner parties, I’ve been trying to think of new, even better tasting flavours that would work well in our homemade version. This Pecan & Maple Syrup flavour will most definitely be a hit with anyone who tries it. The best part? It’s so simple. Almost laughably simple. We used the same basic ice cream recipe that we always use & then got creative with the pecans & golden syrup. The whole process probably took about 20 minutes, not including freezing time. & that makes 2 litres of ice cream. I know. You can thank me later.
For the ice cream:
- 3 x 250ml pots of cream
- 1 tbsp vodka
- 1 400g tin of condensed milk
For the pecan & maple syrup flavouring:
- 2 large handful of pecan nuts, more if you wish
- 4 large tablespoons of maple syrup
For the ice cream:
- In a large bowl, whisk all of the cream together until it becomes lightly whipped. Add the tablespoon of vodka & whisk around. Finally, add in the tin of condensed milk & whisk one last time. The mixture should be quite stiff at this stage.
- Pour the mixture into freezer proof containers (I used old store bought ice-cream containers) & put to the side.
For the pecan & maple syrup topping:
- Chop all of the pecan nuts up into small topping sized chunks.
- Place 1 large tablespoon of maple syrup in a microwavable bowl & heat on high for 10-15 seconds. It should be melted & slightly runny. Mix a quarter of the pecan nuts into the melted syrup & stir until covered. Pour the pecan & maple mix over one of the ice cream containers & stir through the ice-cream. Repeat with the other container of ice-cream
- Keep a small amount of chopped pecans to one side for decorating the top of the ice-cream. Stir the remaining chopped pecans evenly throughout the two ice-cream containers.
- Finally, to decorate the ice cream, sprinkle the last of the pecans on top of the ice-cream mixes. Melt the remaining golden syrup to get a runny consistency & then pour on top of the chopped pecans.
- Leave the ice-creams in the freezer for at least 8 hours. Don’t worry about breaking it up every few hours – the vodka stops it from turning into a big block of ice.