Monthly Musings: March 2020
Happy first Sunday in March, friends!
How are you on this fine day? We managed to sneak out for a speedy walk in between the intermittent rain showers. Before that, there were pancakes for breakfast, & shortly after we got home there was a blood orange course. We have dinner slow cooking away on the hob as I type, the wine for tonight is open & breathing, and in a little while we’re going to attempt to shoot & write the recipe for one of Boyfriend’s cocktail creations.
I think it’s safe to say this Sunday is treating us rather well thus far – I hope that yours is developing in a similar manner.
Our musings for the month ahead are below. It would seem I have largely food related thoughts this time round, but I suppose that’s good news for a food blogger.
I hope you enjoy, friendos!
- I had a mild excursion into the world of pickling last month! I whipped up a couple jars of pickled cucumber (not the recipe I used but somewhat similar) & a cute jar of spicy chili relish. The cucumbers are particularly great – they’re perfect with sandwiches or curries or with nothing at all straight out of the fridge.
- It’s been roughly two months too long since I left the country. We’re holding off on booking anything just yet – what with the Coronavirus madness, etc – but it looks like our next trip will be to visit my dear friend Ariadna in Poland; I can’t wait!
- I’ve been meaning to visit Bread 41 bakery here in Dublin for well over a year & I finally managed it last month. Friends, it was better than anything I ever could have dreamed of. The breads are luscious, the pastries are flaky & buttery, everything is so so delicious.
- It’s the second most wonderful time of the year: blood orange season! I posted the recipe for this Blood Orange Cream last week, and you’ll need to make that in order to make the amazing new recipe that’s coming atcha next week. What are you waiting for?
- Related: Boyfriend is a natural born blood orange cocktail maker. Last year he whipped up a tequila concoction, and this year he has perfected the blood orange old fashioned – he’s truly a wonder. Should we get him to do a guest blog post?
- I’ll leave this here just in case this was something you were wondering about after seeing the Oscars, too: A Timeline of Leonardo DiCaprio and Camila Morrone’s Relationship.
- Somewhat related: we’re still trying to catch up on all the Oscar nominated films BUT I gotta say, one of my absolute faves that got little to no recognition this year was Richard Jewell. We’re big Clint fans around here – how could you not be?
- Related part ii: watching Parasite made me hungry for the steak & noodle dish Ram-Don. I’ve added all of the ingredients to our shopping list for next week & I can hardly wait!
- I made a big ole pot of this Jammy Tomato Sauce last month & we devoured every drop. I left out the anchovies but otherwise kept it the exact same & wow, it is so good!
- This time two years ago, I was in Amsterdam with one of my best friends -you can read about our travels here. There’s a lot of new travel content hitting the blog in the near future, be sure to check back soon for some trusty recommendations! In the meantime, check out the travel index in case you missed anything.
- What’s on your reading list for this month? I’ve just finished Call Me By Your Name and I. am. obsessed. It feels so real and so special that I can already see it becoming one of those books I read again & again.
- An oldie but a goodie: Rhubarb & Orange Financier. If only Boyfriend liked rhubarb as much as me, sigh. We can dream.
I hope you have a wonderful month!
My love to you,