Lemon Cream Pie
I have a confession to make: I am a lemon lover. To the extreme. What’s that you said? Cake stuffed with lemon pulp, drenched in lemon syrup & covered in lemon frosting with lemon rind grated on top, with a side of lemon juice? I’ll take two slices please.
The more lemon, the better. “Too much lemon” is not a statement that registers in my mind.
As it turns out, word is beginning to spread far & wide about my love for all things food & baking. Okay, well not that far & wide. Okay fine, it’s really only spread to The Boyf’s family, but still, that’s beside the point. & the point is that The Boyf’s mom knows that if she mentions baking or anything dessert related while I’m there that I’ll immediately volunteer our services. Which is what happened in the case of this Lemon Cream Pie. It’s a good thing The Boyf loves how passionate I am about all this, otherwise I don’t think have me over all that often. Yay for stable relationships!
Boy I am in a weird mood today. I apologise for this shambles of a post, my brain is all over the place because I have too many bananas & do you know how difficult is it to decide what to make with them & I just want to make so many things & it’s not all possible & anyways I should save all the banana talk for a banana post. Let’s get back to talking about lemons. They are yellow.
I’d appreciate it if you could just forget about ever reading that paragraph. That’d be great, thanks.
Basically, this Lemon Cream Pie is rather like a cheesecake. Except better. Where a cheesecake is generally rather heavy & really filling, this pie is heavenly light & melts away on your tongue. We cut into it as soon as I got back from work one night & I lost all self control – I was finishing up my second slice while The Boyf’s family were still making their way through their first. It was kind of awkward. What can I say, I just love lemon! Especially when it comes in a deliciously light & creamy, but not too creamy, form that’s packed full of lemon flavour (but without being too overpowering for you regular people). Oh, & did I mention it has a biscuit base? Oh yes. This Lemon Cream Pie certainly ticks all my boxes.
Now, please enjoy the recipe below while I go back to my banana related meltdown.
Makes one 9 inch pie
- 200g digestive biscuits
- 75g butter
- ½ pint of cream
- 400g tin of condensed milk
- juice of 4 lemons
- rind of 1 lemon, & extra to decorate
- To make the biscuit base, melt the butter over a medium heat. Crush the biscuits (either in a bag with a rolling pin or in a food processor) until fine & add to the melted butter. Combine the two until evenly coated.
- Empty the biscuit mixture into a 9 inch cheesecake tin & press firmly along the bottom in an even layer. Transfer to the fridge while you make the base.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream until stiff. Add in the condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon rind & mix well.
- Pour the lemon cream filling into the pie base & sprinkle a little extra lemon rind on top for decoration. Leave to set in the fridge for at least 6 hours.