Crunchy Tortilla & Cucumber Salad
I was never really one for salads. Why would I put myself through all the preparation chopping of the vegetables, only to be left with a big pile of leaves at the end? Right? It was only about a year ago that I grew up a little bit & realised just how wrong I was.
Salads don’t actually require all that much prep, & they can be an easy and healthy lunch option or excellent accompaniment to any dinner. & obviously, they’re packed full of vegetables & super good for you. & they’re tasty. What more could you want?
Having said all that, I’m not interested in salads that don’t have a little something extra, like pomegranate seeds or crunchy tortilla pieces. Oh, & I’m a big lover of salad dressing. If I’m going to eat salad, there has to be salad dressing, & a plentiful helping at that.
That’s why this salad is great, it ticks all my boxes: it’s quick & easy to prepare, the tortilla chips provide a little extra kick, you can put on as much salad dressing as you like, & plus, it’s really versatile so you can add in any vegetables you have lingering in the depths of your fridge. While I was doing the shopping I completely forgot I was going to be making salad, so mine only consisted of four very simple, but still tasty, ingredients.
- 1 large tortilla wrap
- 1 romaine lettuce
- ½ a cucumber
- 1 handful of ripe cherry tomatoes
- Salad dressing of your choice (I just used Salad Cream)
1. Cut the tortilla in half, & then cut each half in half. Slice the halves into strips about 0.5cm in size.In an ever layer, sprinkle the slices onto a baking tray & pop under the grill for a few minutes until golden. Warning: this happens really quickly, so it’s best if you keep an eye on them, trust me, I know from too many batches of burned tortilla strips.
2. When the tortillas are lovely & crispy, remove from the grill & place to the side.
3. Cut the lettuce into big chunky strips & add to a salad bowl. Remove the watery insides of the cucumber & cut into chunky cubes, then add to the bowl with the lettuce. Halve all of the cherry tomatoes & scatter across the top of the salad.
4. Pour a generous helping of your salad cream on top of everything. Finally, scatter the crispy tortilla chips over the salad, toss everything together & serve!