Chocolate Fudge Brownies
A very exciting thing happened to me about a month ago, and I have no idea how I haven’t mentioned it up until now. Trust me, I’ve been bending The Boyf’s ear about it every time we’re together! My Joy the Baker cookbook came in the post! I ordered it online, excitedly checked the postbox every until it arrived, and totally fan-girled all over the place when it finally arrived. I am truly obsessed with it. There is honestly not a single recipe that I don’t want to try out, they all sound so delicious! And the photos! Why did I wait so long to purchase it? These Chocolate Fudge Brownies were one of the first recipes I made from the book, and I’m excited to share them here!
I never was much of a brownie girl. I mean, they’re nice.. but I’d never buy a brownie to go with my coffee. This is actually the first batch of brownies I’ve ever made. I get a funny look every time I tell someone that – Síofra, looking at you – but it’s true. But something about these brownies spoke to my soul, they simply had to be made. Spoiler alert: they were great. Really great, possibly even divine. When does food cross the line from delicious into divine? Because if it happens when brownies don’t even last a day, then these brownies are definitely divine.
They’re moist, fudgy, chewy, & they have chocolate chips in them. & then there’s the cream cheese frosting, aka: the most addictive part. It’s absolutely my favourite frosting ever. It’s light, it’s chocolaty, it’s silky smooth, it’s heavenly. Don’t even think about not adding the frosting, it really makes the brownies pop.
You are welcome.
Makes one 8-inch pan of brownies (Brownies & frosting adapted from Joy the Baker)
For the brownies:
- ¾ cup of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ of butter, softened
- 85g of dark chocolate, chopped up
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 113g of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup of salted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 cup of icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoons of milk
- First, make the brownies. Preheat the oven to 170°C & grease & flour an 8-inch square baking dish, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, & salt.
- Place the butter & dark chocolate in a large heatproof bowl, & heat on high in the microwave in 30 second increments until just melted, stirring to finish it off.
- Whisk both different types of sugars into the chocolate. Then add in the eggs, the egg yolk, & the vanilla extract. Then the flour mixture, using a spatula to fold in until well combined. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan & bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the brownie centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven & leave to cool completely before frosting.
- Now, the chocolate cream cheese frosting. With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until soft & slightly fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula once satisfied. Then add the butter into the bowl & beat on a medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cocoa powder into the mix & beat until incorporated. Then add the salt, icing sugar, vanilla extract & milk, beating until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl & continue to beat the mixture on a low speed until all of the icing sugar has blended in. (It should end up being silky smooth & delicious.)
- Once the brownies are completely cooled, cover with a healthy (& by healthy I mean as thick as you can get it) layer of the frosting.