Blueberry, Almond & Honey Porridge
Ever since I began my quest to discover all the best possible porridge flavours & toppings, I have been in love with porridge. My tired morning self doesn’t mind gathering all the ingredients, waiting the minute & a half until it has to be stirred, or even the watching through the microwave door so as to catch the porridge in that split second before it overflows the bowl. That last bit is probably the hardest part. I don’t know about you guys, but my microwave door has a black spotted design all over it & if I look through it too long I feel like I’m going blind & actually can’t see anything anymore. Yep, this is my life. Regular morning blindness, all over a bowl of porridge.
I’ve gone through some great flavours & toppings, such as Nutella & Banana, & some not so great ones, like orange & chocolate. See, in theory it sounds nice, but reality is a whole different story. Trust me on that one.
Now that I’m right smack bang in the middle of exam season, I really rely on my daily porridge to get me through the morning & into lunch. Having porridge in the morning means that I don’t even think about eating until I see others readying their lunch around one o’clock. It’s a miracle. Regular cereals just don’t do it for me anymore. You have breakfast, 40 minutes later you’re already hungry, then you have a mid-morning snack, & then an early lunch. I mean, what is even the point? You just can’t beat a good bowl of porridge. Especially when it’s packed full of yummy blueberries! A perfect way to stat the day.
- 1/3 cup of porridge oats
- ¼ cup of sultanas
- 4-5 dashes of cinnamon
- ½ cup of milk
- a good handful of blueberries
- a sprinkling of flaked almonds
- a drizzle of honey
- In a bowl, mix together the porridge oats, the sultanas & the cinnamon. Add in the milk & stir around again.
- Place in the microwave, on high, for a minute & a half. Take the porridge out, give it a good stir about & then return to the microwave for one more minute. If the porridge is still too runny, put it into the microwave until desired consistency is reached. I like mine when it’s creamy.
- Remove the porridge from the microwave. Top with the almonds, blueberries & the honey.