Banana & Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Day 4 of Banana Week comes to you in the form of cookies, a form we all know & love thoroughly. Let’s face it, who doesn’t love cookies? They just make people happy! Well, they make me happy. There’s nothing better than a good cookie. Especially a good cookie that is actually kinda healthy because it’s jam packed with banana & oats, & only a teeny tiny bit of sugar, butter & chocolate bites. Like I said, kinda healthy.
Want to know a secret? I’m pretty sure these are my favourite banana baked good of the week. They are heavenly. Like, seriously good. Probably my favourite cookie that I’ve ever made for the blog. Okay fine, they’re drawing with the Peanut Butter Cookies, because let’s face it, they were pretty awesome too. But these ones are completely different. The banana flavour is amazing, considering there’s only one banana in the recipe. I added Galaxy Chocolate Caramel Bites in for a little extra chew, it was awesome. For those of you who don’t know what they are, it’s Galaxy chocolate, surrounding a delicious centre of caramel. However, the ingredient that really made this cookie was definitely the oatmeal.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but most of my past cookie recipes have been oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal just works in cookies. It adds a small bit of chewiness to your average cookie, which is something I seek out in my unending search for cookies. Also, it makes your cookies slightly healthier, which means you get to eat more cookies without feeling extremely guilty, win win or what? I do love me a good excuse to eat more cookies!
These are the kind of cookies that you have to have a glass of milk with. To me, that’s the sign of a good cookie. The cookie that convinces you to pour yourself a glass of milk, grab a second cookie, & put your feet up for a little while. Yes please. You’ll find the recipe underneath the last picture. In case you can’t tell, I had a lot of fun photographing these cookies…
Makes 20 cookies (Adapted from Damn Delicious)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup of Galaxy Chocolate Caramel Bites
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper & set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda & salt.
- In another medium bowl, beat the butter & sugars together with an electric whisk until light & fluffy. Once combined, beat in the vanilla & the egg, mixing well. Then throw in the mashed banana & mix again until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture gradually, being sure not to over mix, stopping when it’s just incorporated.
- Finally, at the oats & Galaxy Bites & gently stir around in the bowl to combine.
- Place tablespoonfuls of the cookie mix onto your prepared tray & flatten them out. Bake in the preheated oven for 12ish minutes, or until golden.
- Cool on the tray for five minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.